Sunday, August 7, 2011

Am I Beautiful?

Am I beautiful?

What brought about this question was something that somebody said to me tonight. What actually happened was that she first asked me if I had any boyfriend before. Then this was followed by why I did not get married. What came next was something that gave me mixed reactions. I didn't know whether to laugh, be annoyed, feel insulted or just be amused.

I was advised by a fifteen year old girl to have a make-over in order to land a husband. LOL. As if I wanted one.



I never claimed to be a ravishing beauty. But when given such an advice by somebody who lives in a country where cosmetic surgery is pretty common even among teenagers, I wondered what is considered beautiful nowadays by young people. Does it constitute having double eyelids, a V-line face, a very slim body and fair skin? I guess, if the public is bombarded by such images as icons of beauty then I can truly understand why it become a standard for them.

The concept of physical beauty varies. What may be considered beautiful in one country may seem unattractive in another place. The elongated necks of the women is associated with beauty in the Karen tribe but this may seem strange to people from other nations. In the pursuit of beauty, many men and women subject themselves procedures which sometimes become detrimental to their health.

I dare say though that real beauty is something which radiates from the within. It is produced by the goodness emanating from a pure heart.